Italian Meatballs with Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1 x 500g can Rosella Condensed Tomato Soup
- 1kg thick Italian pork and fennel sausages
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 crushed garlic cloves, or 2 level teaspoons Rosella Crushed Garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, cracked (optional)
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
Take the skin off the sausages and place the sausage meat in a bowl. Roll the sausage meat into rough balls (you can make the meatballs any size you like; ours were about the size of a golf ball). A helpful tip: wetting your hands with cold water will stop the mixture from sticking to your fingers. Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed sauté or frying pan over medium heat. Fry the meatballs until lightly browned. As they become brown, place them aside on kitchen paper to drain off the oil.
Using the same pan, add the onion and gently sauté until soft and just starting to colour. Add the garlic, and sauté for a further 1-2 minutes. Add the reserved meatballs, Rosella Condensed Tomato Soup, bay leaves, lemon zest, chilli, fennel seeds (if using) and 1½ cups of water to the pan. Cover and gently simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
Serve topped with the chopped parsley.