Indian Chicken Curry and Rice Casserole
Serves: 4 | Prep: 40 minutes | Cook: 25 minutes
- CHICKEN CURRY
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg chicken thigh fillets, cut into 4-5cm pieces
- 1 diced onion, 2 finely sliced onions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup (75g) mild korma curry paste
- 1 x 250g jar Rosella Fruit Chutney
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- ¼ cup (60ml) plain Greek yoghurt
- 2 x 250g packets microwave basmati rice
- 75g butter
- ½ cup (45g) slivered almonds
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, diced
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup coriander leaves, plus extra for garnish
- Extra Greek yoghurt and fruit chutney, to serve
Heat oil in a large heavy-based ovenproof pan over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches and transfer to a plate. Set aside.
Add diced onion and garlic to pan. Cook, stirring often, over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until onion is tender. Stir in curry paste.
Return chicken to pan. Stir in chutney and stock. Bring to the boil. Simmer gently, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and sauce is slightly thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in yoghurt.
Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C (fan-forced).
Follow packet directions to heat rice and transfer to a bowl, breaking up the grains.
Heat butter in a small pan until foamy. Add sliced onions and cook until softened and turning golden. Add almonds and continue to cook until both onions and almonds are golden and toasted. Add ¾ of onion mixture into the rice and mix well. Spoon rice mixture over the curry. Scatter remaining onion and almonds over the top. Bake 10-15 minutes, or until rice is crispy.
Meanwhile, to make the salad, combine tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, lemon juice and coriander and mix well.
Serve curry and rice casserole topped with extra yoghurt and fruit chutney. Serve with salad.
Our Favourite Recipes
We’ve made it easy for you to cook up a storm with Rosella. Easy, exciting and delicious recipes we’ve carefully selected that are simple and tasty that the whole family will love. Stay up-to-date via Facebook and share your recipes with us. We’d love to hear how you use our products to create new recipes or family favourites.